- 1 WinSCP For Mac
- 2 Feature of WinSCP App:
- 3 WinSCP for Windows:
- 4 How to install WinSCP App:
- 5 How to use WinSCP App:
- 6 Alternatives to the WinSCP App:
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions.
WinSCP For Mac
Description: Windows Secure Copy (WinSCP) for Mac is not yet a success as the existing version operates perfectly well on Windows Operating System. However, the WinSCP is a perfect app for transferring data between a local and a remote computer. It also offers basic file management and file synchronization properties. Being a free open-source SFTP, FTP, AmazonS3, WebDAV, and SCP for windows, we will talk about how it operates on windows in this article.
Offer price: Free
Operating System: Microsoft Windows
Application Category: Software
- File encryption.
- Resuming of the transfer.
- Connection tunneling.
- Ability to integrate to Windows, puTTY and other applications.
- Portable use.
- Master password.
- Easy to select user interfaces.
- Highly customizable.
- Very fast.
- Extensive documentation.
- Perfect FTP client and file manager.
- Multilingual support.
- Ability to edit files from the remote computer.
- Free to use.
- Supports secure file transfer protocols.
- You will need a preference setting whenever you want to switch between interfaces.
WinSCP is a free and open-source SFTP, FTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3 and SCP client for Microsoft Windows. Its main function is secure file transfer between a local and a remote computer.
Feature of WinSCP App:
Bringing on board such a great app to your team at work or your project would be a wise decision you’d like to applaud every day. The benefits of WinSCP are many and even by going through its features below, you can fish out some of these benefits.
It gives you a matchless opportunity for you to seamlessly encrypt your files on an SFTP server with the aid of AES-256 encryption. You can also specify an encryption key as a part of session settings after which, by default, WinSCP will seamlessly encrypt all the new files that are uploaded and the files’ names.
It protects your files in such a way that when you download your files you get the original content but when anyone else including the server administrator, who doesn’t have the encryption key, downloads the content would not see the original content but gibberish text.
Resuming of File Transfer.
While SCP and WebDAV protocols do not support resuming files transfers, SFTP and FTP protocols of WinSCP allows the process. However, when using the S3 protocol you can only resume the transfer of files immediately by reconnecting a lost session and not anytime longer.
When files are being transferred, WinSCP saves the file to a temporary file name first then renames it to the target name once the file successfully finishes.
WinSCP’s SSH protocol enables you to forward arbitrary network connections over your encrypted SSH connection. WinSCP uses this ability to allow you to connect to another server, say server 2, which is impossible to reach directly from your working station but which you could access indirectly from another working station that is possible to reach.
Ability to integrate to Windows, puTTY and other applications.
There are several ways you could integrate WinSCP with Microsoft windows, with one of the options being setting up the integration during the installation process or do it later through the preference dialog on the integration page. WinSCP also closely works with other applications such as the puTTY to give the best file transfer services.
With the standalone portable executable that you download WinSCP file with, you can easily carry WinSCP with the configurations you have set on it on a USB or a removable media and use it or transfer it to another computer.
WinSCP has a strong AES cipher that helps it protect saved passwords. However, you need to set a master password for it to protect such sensitive information failure to which stored passwords can easily be decrypted by malicious software that might have gained access to your computer.
Easy to select user interfaces.
WinSCP allows you the pleasure of choosing the user interface that works best for your needs at a particular time and also depending on your experience with WinSCP. For starters, the Explorer interface is always the best option as it works in similarity to windows file explorer. However, if you are well versed in the operations of Norton Commander, then the commander interface would be the best fit for you.
WinSCP for Windows:
As stated earlier, we will have to look at the windows version of WinSCP. Let’s have a look at its installation process and how to use it on windows.
How to install WinSCP App:
- Begin by downloading the package installer.
- Run the WinSCP installer on your windows as normal as you would other programs.
- A prompt to choose the setup type will appear, choose ‘Typical Installation’ as your preferred set up.
- You will be asked to select your preferred user interface. Please chose ‘Explore’ as your user interface if you’re a beginner. However, if you have mastery in Norton Commander, choose commander as your preferred user interface.
- Complete your installation process then restart your computer. To start using the WinSCP to transfer files.
How to use WinSCP App:
- You can transfer files by simply dragging those files’ icons from one side of the window to the other. You can also copy files from AFS home directory to your local computer and vice versa.
Giving a New Name to a File.
- Click the file to select it on your home page.
- Select ‘Rename’ from the files menu.
- Give the file a new name you wish to.
- Click ‘Enter’ from your keyboard to save the file’s new name.
- Deleting a File.
- Select the file you wish to delete from your home directory on the remote side of your window.
- Select ‘Delete’ from the files menu.
- Click ‘OK’ to delete the file.
Connecting to External Computers to Transfer Files.
Open the WinSCP for file transfer by double-clicking the WinSCP icon to prompt the opening of the WinSCP login dialog box.
Type the host computer’s address in the Hostname box, your username for the computer to which you are connecting in the username box and your password in the password box then click ‘Login’.
If it’s your first attempt to connect to a new server you will get a prompt warning you. Click ‘Yes’ to finish the process.
Alternatives to the WinSCP App:
It is an FTP client that lets you transfer single files or batches to a web server. Download here.
Networking software that enables you to securely share files.
It is an all-purpose file explorer for remote files including protocols for FTP, SFTP, Amazon3, and Google drive among others.
Frequently Asked Questions.
Can someone connect an FTP server?
Yes, since WinSCP provides an FTP client and supports the insecure FTP protocol.
How can someone tell if the connection is secure?
A ‘lock’ icon will be visible on the status bar once you are connected. If it turns to yellow then it means your connection is secure, when it turns grey then your connection is insecure.
Is it possible to reset a password?
Unfortunately, it is not. You have to contact the administrator of the server you are connecting to.
Whether you choose the commander interface or the Explorer interface, you get only one great result from the WinSCP platform, and that is easy transfer of files. WinSCP for mac would soon be a functional reality and that will come with even greater promises for mac users. Be on the lookout.